Los Angeles Chargers head coach Jim Harbaugh said that running back Najee Harris (eye) could play in Week 1, according to the team's official website. The first-year Charger returned to practice on Wednesday and has not been placed on the reserve/non-football injury list, opening up the possibility he is active for the season opener against Kansas City. Harris sustained the injury during a July 4 fireworks accident and had not practiced since June. When healthy, he's likely to split work with rookie Omarion Hampton.
Aug 28, 2025 9:26 AM EST
Los Angeles Chargers head coach Jim Harbaugh said that running back Najee Harris (eye) returned to practice on Wednesday and that him playing in Week 1 against the division-rival Kansas City Chiefs in Brazil on Friday, Sept. 5, is a "possibility." Harris missed all of training camp and the preseason due to an eye injury he suffered in a fireworks mishap on the Fourth of July, but he will avoid the Non-Football Injury list to begin his first year in L.A. and could be available in the team's backfield alongside rookie first-rounder Omarion Hampton to kick things off against KC. The 27-year-old should be a big part of the Bolts' run-first offense in 2025, but don't be surprised if Harris is eased into the fold give all the time he missed this summer. For his big-play ability alone, Hampton is the better fantasy target, with Harris checking in at No. 56 at the position at RotoBaller.
Aug 27, 2025 5:11 PM EST
According to Ian Rapoport and Tom Pelissero of the NFL Network, the Los Angeles Chargers are moving running back Najee Harris (eye) to the active roster from the non-football injury list. The former Steeler has been sidelined due to the facial injuries he suffered following a fireworks incident earlier in the offseason. During training camp, Harris was given a limited workload. However, seeing that he was able to join the active roster before their season opener is a great sign and suggests he should be cleared to participate in their season opener against the Kansas City Chiefs. In the offseason, the Chargers signed Harris to a one-year deal, but they also selected top running back prospect Omarion Hampton in the first round. When active, fantasy managers should expect Harris and Hampton to share the Los Angeles backfield. As a result, they could limit each other's cielings, especially if they operate as a committee.
Aug 26, 2025 4:40 PM EST
Los Angeles Chargers general manager Joe Hortiz said on the CBS broadcast on Saturday that running back Najee Harris (eye) is "on track" and "hopefully" will be ready for Week 1 in Brazil against the division-rival Kansas City Chiefs on Friday, Sept. 5. However, The Athletic's Daniel Popper thinks Harris will begin the regular season on the Non-Football Injury list, which would mean he'd have to miss at least the first four games. Right now, Popper has rookie first-rounder Omarion Hampton, Hassan Haskins, Raheim Sanders and Kimani Vidal all projected to win spots on the 53-man roster. If Harris were to start on the NFI list, he wouldn't be eligible to make his Chargers debut until Oct. 5 against the Commanders. Harris has missed all of training camp and the preseason due to an eye injury suffered in a fireworks accident. Hampton figures to open as L.A.'s RB1 and is a low-end RB1/high-end RB2 in fantasy.
Aug 25, 2025 7:51 PM EST
Los Angeles Chargers general manager Joe Hortiz noted via the broadcast of the team's preseason finale with the San Francisco 49ers that he's hopeful running back Najee Harris (eye) will be ready to go for Week 1. "Najee's doing great, going through all the medical processes," said Hortiz. "But he's on track, and I think he should be able to go, hopefully in Week 1." This is an interesting development, as LA has primarily taken a vow of silence this summer regarding Harris and the resulting eye injury from his fireworks mishap. The Alabama product returned to the field after the July 4 incident just two weeks ago and has only worked off to the side with trainers. If Harris does suit up for Week 1, it's unclear in what capacity that will be, as the actual severity of his injury is unknown. With backfield mate Omarion Hampton's ADP skyrocketing, fantasy managers may want to exercise caution in drafting the rookie at his elevated draft price, particularly with the veteran potentially on the brink of returning. It's a situation that bears monitoring over the next 11 days or so.
Aug 24, 2025 1:11 AM EST
Los Angeles Chargers head coach Jim Harbaugh was non-committall on running back Najee Harris (eye) when asked if he'll be ready for the Week 1 regular-season opener on Friday, Sept. 5, against the division-rival Kansas City Chiefs in Brazil. "When Najee is ready to play, Najee will be ready to play. Right now, to take it past today would be going over the legal limit. That would take your over the legal limit of what-ifs," Harbaugh said. Harris remains on the Non-Football Injury list after a fireworks accident on the Fourth of July injured his eye, and he was seen working out on a side field again on Wednesday. The 27-year-old's representation is saying that he'll be ready for the regular-season opener, but given the fact he's missed all of training camp and the preseason to this point, it seems likely that rookie first-rounder Omarion Hampton will be more involved than Harris in L.A.'s backfield.
Aug 21, 2025 6:19 PM EST
Los Angeles Chargers running back Najee Harris (eye) returned to practice in a limited capacity Monday, working on the side while remaining on the NFL's Non-Football Injury list. The veteran signed with the Chargers this offseason after topping 1,000 rushing yards in each of his four seasons with the Steelers. However, Harris' role is now in question with rookie Omarion Hampton emerging as the likely lead back. Until Harris is fully cleared, fantasy managers should treat him as Hampton's handcuff rather than a standalone option.
Aug 18, 2025 7:29 PM EST
Los Angeles Chargers beat writer Daniel Popper of The Athletic projects Chargers running back Najee Harris (eye) to open the season on the non-football injury list, which means he would be forced to miss the first four games of the season. Popper writes that he has "not seen nearly enough progress at this point to think (Harris) will be ready for Week 1." Harris suffered an eye injury on July 4 and just recently returned to practice in a very limited capacity this week. If Harris does indeed miss a chunk of the regular season, rookie running back Omarion Hampton would have a major opportunity to seize the lead role in the Los Angeles backfield. Hampton is a steady riser in fantasy and profiles as a high-end RB2, while Harris has fallen to RB49 in RotoBaller's half-PPR rankings.
Aug 15, 2025 10:48 AM EST
Los Angeles Chargers running back Najee Harris (eye) has made some progress and was able to do some jogging at training camp on Tuesday, according to Daniel Popper of The Athletic. Harris has gotten off to a bad start with his new team, suffering an eye injury during a fireworks mishap on the Fourth of July. The former Steelers RB remains on the Physically Unable to Perform list and has yet to practice with the rest of the team. What initially seemed like a minor injury actually has a chance to keep the 27-year-old sidelined for the start of the 2025 regular season. The former first-rounder has been durable in his NFL career and has recorded 1,000 rushing yards in each of his four seasons, but he's lacked big-play ability and could very well take a back seat to rookie first-rounder Omarion Hampton whenever he gets back on the field. Harris has fallen to RB49 status at RotoBaller.
Aug 12, 2025 6:18 PM EST
Los Angeles Chargers head coach Jim Harbaugh was non-committal about the status of running back Najee Harris (eye) for the start of the regular season, saying, "there's a chance he is" when asked if Harris is playing in Week 1. Harris was injured on July 4 due to a fireworks mishap and has spent training camp on the non-football injury list as a result. Los Angeles signed Harris to a one-year deal in free agency this past offseason, and he's expected to share carries with rookie first-rounder Omarion Hampton. If Harris does miss time, Hampton could be in line for a large workload right away. Even if Harris avoids being sidelined for regular season action, the training camp absence may have put him behind Hampton in the backfield pecking order. With the current uncertainty, Hampton profiles as a fringe RB1 in fantasy, while Harris is more of a depth piece/handcuff option.
Aug 8, 2025 6:18 PM EST
Los Angeles Chargers head coach Jim Harbaugh said that running back Najee Harris (eye) is getting better and that Harris is walking laps around the field during training camp practices as part of his rehab process. However, there's still no timetable for his return, according to Kris Rhim of ESPN. Harris suffered a superficial eye injury in a fireworks accident on the Fourth of July and was placed on the Non-Football Injury list at the start of training camp in mid-July. While the former Steeler has been at the team's facilities and taking part in meetings, he has yet to get on the field heading into his first year with the team. The 27-year-old is expected to be ready for the start of the 2025 regular season in early September, but each day he misses practice is another day that rookie first-rounder Omarion Hampton becomes much more intriguing in fantasy as L.A.'s primary backfield weapon.
Aug 4, 2025 3:21 PM EST
Los Angeles Chargers running back Najee Harris (eye) worked off to the side during Saturday's practice. While he seemingly still has a way to go before potentially getting cleared for Week 1, his presence on Saturday was at least a positive step in the right direction. The 27-year-old signed a one-year deal with the Chargers in March after spending his first four years in the National Football League in Pittsburgh. He had more than a few productive outings with the Steelers, amassing 4,312 yards off 1,097 carries while totaling 34 touchdowns in 68 regular-season contests. Harris needs to get cleared as soon as possible. If he remains limited and is ruled out heading into the opener versus the Chiefs on September 5, Omarion Hampton will have a chance to lock up even more touches out of the backfield moving ahead.
Aug 2, 2025 9:59 PM EST
Los Angeles Chargers head coach Jim Harbaugh said at training camp on Tuesday that there's still no timeline for running back Najee Harris (eye) to return to practice. The Chargers will play their first preseason game on Thursday against the Detroit Lions in the Hall of Fame game, and Harris hasn't been on the practice field at all with his new team after injuring his eye during a fireworks accident back on the Fourth of July. The Chargers are optimistic that Harris will be ready for the start of the 2025 regular season in early September, but with him missing all this crucial practice time, the odds of rookie first-rounder Omarion Hampton seizing lead-back work increases each day Harris is absent. The former Steelers RB has been consistent so far in his NFL career, but he lacks big-play ability and could be working behind Hampton all year.
Jul 29, 2025 7:13 PM EST
Los Angeles Chargers running back Najee Harris (eye) is on the mend from a fireworks-related eye injury that has landed him on the non-football injury list to start training camp. However, Chargers general manager Joe Hortiz says there's "no rush" to get Harris back on the field at this point in the summer. Harris signed a one-year deal with the Chargers this past offseason after spending the first four years of his career with the Pittsburgh Steelers. He's never missed a game in his career, and he rushed for over 4,300 yards and 28 touchdowns in Pittsburgh. The Chargers used a first-round pick on running back Omarion Hampton in the 2025 draft, and Hampton and Harris project to share touches in the team's backfield this season. However, with each day Harris misses, Hampton could be getting closer and closer to seizing the lead role.
Jul 28, 2025 4:18 PM EST
Los Angeles Chargers head coach Jim Harbaugh noted that he's unsure if running back Najee Harris (eye) will be back for training camp as he heals from a recent fireworks mishap. "He's healing and doing everything he can to get back on the field," Harbaugh said on Tuesday. Yikes. Since news broke of the fifth-year pro's injury, the reports have been conflicting. Nonetheless, this is troubling news for Harris, as his timeline to return seems unclear. The recent addition of veteran running back/kick returner Nyheim Hines doesn't quell any worries surrounding the former Pittsburgh Steeler either. Harris' initial diagnosis was deemed superficial, so he shouldn't miss too much time. However, this leaves the door open for rookie rusher Omarion Hampton to seize increased volume ahead of schedule. This situation warrants close monitoring.
Jul 22, 2025 4:28 PM EST
A video of Los Angeles Chargers running back drills posted by Thuc Nhi Nguyen of the Los Angeles Times shows that Najee Harris (eye) is still missing from the team's on-field activities. Harris suffered an eye injury on July 4 after a fireworks-related mishap and currently sits on the Non-Football Injury List. He's reportedly been participating in team meetings, but it's currently unclear how long he'll be held out of practice. Harris signed a one-year deal with the Chargers in the offseason after spending four seasons with the Pittsburgh Steelers. He rushed for 1,043 yards and six touchdowns in 2024 and has yet to miss a game in his NFL career. It appears that ironman streak could be in jeopardy in 2025, although there's plenty of time remaining in the offseason for him to fully recover. Chargers first-round rookie Omarion Hampton's stock should rise with each day that Harris is unable to play.
Jul 21, 2025 3:06 PM EST
According to Los Angeles Chargers head coach Jim Harbaugh, running back Najee Harris (eye) has reported to the team's facility. "He's in meetings," Harbaugh stated. "Just great to have him, a lot of gratitude that he's here." The 2021 No. 24 overall pick spent four seasons with the Pittsburgh Steelers to begin his career. He appeared in 68 regular-season contests for the club, totaling 4,312 yards on the ground and 180 receptions for 1,149 receiving yards while totaling 34 touchdowns. Harris inked a one-year deal with Los Angeles in March. Unfortunately, he suffered an eye injury during a fireworks incident on July 4. Harris currently sits on the Non-Football Injury List, so it's not a positive start to his career with the Chargers. However, he's expected to be ready to go for Week 1. With that in mind, it's certainly a situation worth monitoring heading into the opener. If Harris doesn't progress from the injury as initially anticipated, rookie Omarion Hampton's fantasy stock will rise even higher. Either way, fantasy managers can consider drafting both for insurance purposes.
Jul 19, 2025 8:18 PM EST
The Hindustan Times reports that the Los Angeles Chargers have not physically seen running back Najee Harris (eye) since he suffered a superficial eye injury during a fireworks accident on the Fourth of July. Despite having not seen Harris yet, general manager Joe Hortiz said that Harris has been in "good spirits" and "everything that has been relayed to us is positive." Harris is undergoing treatment for his injury at Stanford and was placed on the Non-Football Injury list earlier this week. The 27-year-old is missing the start of training camp this week due to his eye injury, but he's not expected to be out for long and is fully expected to be ready to roll by Week 1 in early September. Still, it's a bad start for Harris in his first year in L.A. after the Bolts took big-play back Omarion Hampton in the first round in April. RotoBaller has Harris ranked as the RB36 after his fireworks mishap.
Jul 19, 2025 1:55 PM EST
The Los Angeles Chargers officially announced on Thursday that they placed running back Najee Harris (eye) on the Non-Football Injury list after he suffered a superficial eye injury during a fireworks mishap back on the Fourth of July. While Harris is expected to be a full-go for the start of the 2025 regular season in early September, he isn't going to be on the field for the start of training camp on Thursday. It's not a great start for the 27-year-old's first year in L.A., especially after they drafted big-play RB Omarion Hampton in the first round in April, but Harris is not expected to be out for long in camp and can be activated from the NFI list at any time. Despite his injury being minor, it will make Hampton more attractive as an RB2 in fantasy with upside going into his first NFL campaign. Harris has four straight 1,000-yard seasons, but his big-play ability has been lacking.
Jul 17, 2025 1:12 PM EST
Los Angeles Chargers general manager Joe Hortiz said that running back Najee Harris (eye) will likely begin training camp this week on the Non-Football Injury list, according to The Athletic's Daniel Popper. Harris suffered a superficial eye injury during a fireworks mishap on the Fourth of July but he will report to the team's facilities on Wednesday. The 27-year-old Harris has been receiving treatment from doctors at Stanford for an injury that isn't believed to be very serious. The Chargers can activate Harris at any time from the NFI list, and he's not expected to miss much time at the beginning of camp. Additionally, he's fully expected to be full-go for Week 1 of the regular season on Sept. 7. Still, this is a bad start for Harris in his first year in L.A., especially after the Chargers took Omarion Hampton in the first round in April.
Jul 16, 2025 5:10 PM EST